About GATE Exam Notification,Exam Date –
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering popularly known as the “GATE” is an All India Examination conducted in the field of Engineering and Science. This exam is conducted once in a year and it is primarily checks the comprehensive knowledge of various undergraduate subjects under Engineering and Science.GATE is conducted in 23 disciplines and each candidate has an option of selecting any one of them. GATE scores are now also being used by several Indian public sector undertakings that recruit graduate engineers at entry-levels. The validity of GATE 2017 score will be for three years.
Overall, GATE is considered as one of the most competitive exams because on average only 15% of the appearing candidates qualify every year.
The exam is jointly organized by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs which include IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and IIT Roorkee. These institutes prepare this test on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development and Government of India.
GATE consists on one examination followed by counselling which is based on merit list. Usually notification of the exam comes in sometime between June-July while the process of filling and submitting the applicationsbegin in the month of September. The online exam is conducted in the month of February. The result is declared in the month of March generally, on official website of GATE. One has to be updated with the official website of GATE for various notifications regarding the exam.
For appearing for the GATE exam, the candidate has to fulfil the eligibility criteria.
- There is no age limit to apply for this examination.
- Candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology and final year students can also apply as well.
- It goes same for the students of Architecture, Master’s Degree in any branch of Science or Mathematics or Statistics or Computer Applications or equivalent along with Students of Bachelors in Science with duration of four years, students of Four-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/ Technology and those in the second or higher year, students of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/ Technology and those in the fourth or higher year, students of Five-year Integrated M.Sc. or Five year Integrated B.Sc./ M.Sc. degree and also those who are in the final year as well as candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/ AICTE as equivalent to B.E./ B.Tech.
- Those who have completed Section-A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
Gate is conducted in 23 disciplines –
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Architecture and Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Ecology and Evolution
- Geology and Geophysics
- Instrumentation Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering Petroleum Engineering
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Textile Engineering and Fibre Science
- Engineering Sciences and Life Sciences
Engineering Sciences paper sections consist of
- Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory) and Fluid Mechanics or Materials Science or Solid Mechanics or Thermodynamics or Polymer Science & Engineering or Food Technology or Engineering Sciences.
- Life sciences paper includes Chemistry (Compulsory) and Biochemistry or Botany, Microbiology or Zoology or Food Technology.
- The exam is conducted online and each paper of GATE consists of 65 questions with weightage of 100 marks for each paper.
- The time duration for exam is 3 hours.
- There will be multiple choice questions as well as numerical based problems. You are required to either select the answer (for MCQ type) or enter the answer for numerical answer type question using a mouse or a virtual keyboard. There will no options for numerical based questions.
- 1/3 mark and 2/3 mark is deducted for wrong answer for questions that carry 1 mark and 2 marks respectively.
- There is no negative marking for numerical answer type questions.
Process and Application Fee-
Applicants need to register and fill the application online only by accessing the zonal GATE websites of IISc and the seven IITs. Payment for the application fees could made online by using net banking or debit card or e-Challan facilities. The application fee for women Applicant and SC/ST/PwD Category applicant is Rs. 750 and for all other candidates is Rs. 1500.
- The GATE online application processing system website will open for enrollment and application filling as well as submission from 1st September, 2016 and it will be open till 4th October, 2016.
- The last date for request for change in choice of examination city will be 16th of November, 2016.
- By 5th January, 2017 the admit cards will be made available for printing on the online application interface.
- The GATE 2017 will be held on 4th – 5th February, 2017 and 11th – 12th February, 2017. Result for the exam will announce online on 27th March, 2017.
You need to keep a check on the official GATE website for details.
Important Links –
Visit official GATE website : Click Here
As GATE is one of the most competitive examinations, it requires hard work and determination. To score well in examination candidate must have a good understanding of the basic concepts, their application and implementation. Besides this, common sense is a must for this examination therefore it is very important to stay calm and cool. Work on your speed and accuracy as well while you’re preparing the subject matter. Likewise, prepare notes for every chapter included in the syllabus very carefully and learn and understand the formulas, short-cut as well as tricks that are required to solve a question. The most important thing while preparing for GATE is to solve previous years’ papers as that will give you a fair idea about the actual examination and help you to improve and perform better in actual paper. Stay calm, work hard and be focused!