About IES (Indian Engineering Service) Exam Notification :
The IES exam also known as Indian Engineering Service exam is conducted by the UPSC. This exam is conducted for selection of engineers into the Government sector for various departments includingServices of Roads, Railways, Defense, Energy and Telecommunications. The post of an IES officer is highly respected as a very vast area of work falls under an IES officer and in someway or the other the entire public gets affected by the work done by these officers. All Engineers or those who are in their final semester of Engineering can apply for this exam keeping in mind that their degrees in the latter case are released by the time the selection process begins.
About IES :
Basically the job of an IES officer is Management. The work and level etc. differs depending on departments buy you are involved up to quite an extent in policy implementations as well. IES is suitable for those who wish to pursue core engineering specialization while having a security of a Government job. An IES officer gets opportunities to work with Indian Railway services, Indian Defence services along with Indian Ordinance Factories Services, Indian Naval Armament Services etc. The perks and status of an IES officer might not be as high as an IAS officer but an IES Officer is a master of his trade and is known for his technological abilities and capabilities. For this particular exam, along with hard work it is very important to have knowledge about your field and be technically very sound.
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical & Tele-communication engineering
Eligibility Criteria –
A candidate must have–
- E. / B.Tech.Degree or passed sections A and B of Institution of Examinations or,
- Passed the Graduate Members Examination of Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications or,
- Obtained an Engineering Degree/ Diploma from Foreign University/ College recognized by Government of India or,
- Passed Associate membership examination parts 2&3/ section A&B of Aeronautical society of India or,
- Passed Graduate membership examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London.
- The age limit for candidates is 21 to 30 years for general category students.
- For OBC – relaxation on upper limit by 3 years.
- For Defense category – upto 4 years.
- For SC/ST, J&K resident – upto 5 years.
- For blind, deaf, handicapped – upto 10 years
The candidate needs to be one of the following –
- Citizen of India or,
- Citizen of Nepal or Bhutan or,
- A person who has migrated from Pakistan, Vietnam, Ethiopia, Malawi, Tanzania, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda or Zaire with the intension that they will permanently settle in India
Application fees –
The application fee for the males of general category and OBC Category is Rs. 200 only. There is no fee required for females and reserved category candidates.
Exam details and Selection process –
The selection process for the IES exam based on clearing the following examinations–
- Preliminary – General Studies and Aptitude – 200 marks – 2 hours
- Preliminary– Engineering specific paper – 300 marks – 3 hours
- Mains – Engineering specific 1 – 300 marks – 3 hours
- Mains– Engineering specific 2 – 300 marks – 3 hours
- Personal Interview – 200 marks
- Grand total – 1300 marks
The candidate needs to keep in mind that for this examination all the results of preliminary, mains examinations are very important because their marks will be carried forward to the grand total and hence affect the selection process overall. Similarly, the weightage of interview is also very high and it can seriously affect the ranking position of the candidate in the end.
Important dates –
Date of notification – 28.09.16
Last date for receipt of applications – 21.10.16
Date of Prelims Examination – 08.01.17 (1 day)
Date of notification of Mains examination – 08.02.17
Last date for receipt of applications – 03.03.17
Date of Mains Examination – 12.05.17 (3 days)
Date of Personal interview – June/July’17 (Expected)
Application process –
The candidate needs to apply online only on the main UPSC website and furnish correct details at every stage. No other method or website should be used for this application. Once the candidate has filled out the complete application and has paid the fees, an admit card will be generated enabling you to sit for the preliminary exam.
Clears the cut-off marks in the prelims with which he/she can make it to the merit list. Once the name appears on this list then the applicant will have to apply for the Mains examination. Once your admit card is received for the Mains examination you are eligible to give the test and here as well you will have to get your name on the merit list. In the Mains, you also have to clear the individual cut off of all sections.
After clearing the Mains exam you will be called for a Personal Interview and once you clear that, you get selected for a post as per the vacancy with the Government of India. At this stage you are to provide all the necessary documents within the stipulated time frame.
In the IES exam, it is important to note that marks at every level are very important because they are carried forward your rank is based on this accumulated score. Hence it is very essential to get a good score right from the preliminary exams till the final interview.